Updated 5/26/2020 - 11:00am
Important Summer Program Update
At Girl Scouts of Nassau County, the health and safety of our members is our number one priority. Due to the uncertainty of community transmission levels and state and local health mandates in the coming months, we have made the difficult decision to cancel all of our Camp Blue Bay Summer Programs. This includes Camp Blue Bay Sleepaway Camp, Summer Adventures Troop Camping, and Parent/Child Overnights.
Camp is about making new friends, holding hands while skipping to your next activity, sitting close around the campfire singing your favorite camp songs, and getting packed into the dining hall for fun and food. These traditions contribute to the magic of camp – which will live on in our hearts until we can be together again!
In addition to canceling summer camp:
- Girl Scouts of Nassau County will be extending the suspension of all in person Girl Scout activities through August 15, 2020.
- Girl Scouts of Nassau County Service Center and Shop will remain closed until further notice. The Girl Scouts of Nassau County Shop will continue to process online orders.
Everyone who has already registered for camp will receive a full refund, including their deposit. Refunds will be made in the same format the payment was made. Due to the high volume of refunds, we appreciate your patience in allowing up to 30 days for processing.
This news will be disappointing to many Girl Scouts, and please know that we are just as disappointed as you are. We reviewed many possibilities and options before deciding to cancel. It was a hard decision, but the right decision for the girls. The video Helping our kids manage summer disappointments by Tina Payne Bryson, PhD, may be of assistance to you in helping your daughter manage her disappointment.
While our Camp Blue Bay Summer programs may be canceled, we are excited to announce a new opportunity – Blue Bay on YOUR Block. Blue Bay on YOUR Block is an online program for campers to enjoy some of Camp Blue Bay’s favorite activities and traditions from the comfort of your home.
Registering gives your daughter access to her group’s hour long daily live activity plus an additional evening activity. Included in your registration is our awesome camp kit of program supplies, activity instructions, camp surprises, and so much more. To learn more visit gsnc.org.
We look forward to the day when we we’ll meet around the campfire again.
Updated 3/20/2020 - 3:20pm
Thank you to everyone who has participated in the 2020 Cookie Program and for your continued hard work and patience in this ever changing situation.
Due to Governor Cuomo’s recent executive orders, we will be closing the Cookie Cupboard as of 4:30pm today, March 20th. We will inform you when the Cupboard will reopen.
The Girl Delivery option in Digital Cookie will be suspended as of 3:30pm today, customers can have orders shipped directly to them or they can make donations. The safety, health, and comfort of our members is important to Girl Scouts. For customers who have recently made purchases of Cookies that you have on hand, we suggest letting them know that you will work on getting them their Cookies when you can make delivery in a way that meets the CDC, state, and local guidelines, and social distancing recommendations.
It is our intention to continue booth sales at a later time, depending on where we are with the current health crisis. We have already reached out to organizations to secure additional booth sale locations once we have overcome this crisis.
This situation is unprecedented and we are doing our best to serve the girls and volunteers, and protect everyone involved. During this time, we encourage you to keep in touch with your sister Girl Scouts; participate in some Girl Scout activities at home and virtually connect with your Girl Scout Troop and community.
Once again, we thank you for your continued hard work and patience in this ever changing situation.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Girl Scouts of Nassau County is working to flatten the curve during this national health crisis. Because of the current crisis we will be pausing all Girl Scout activities. The council service center will be closed to the public effective, Tuesday, March 17 until further notice. Most staff will be working remotely and will be available to support you by phone, email or virtual means.
- Our council shop will be closed effective, Tuesday, March 17. While our shop is closed, please feel free to shop online or email us at email@example.com for merchandise needs.
- The Volunteer Resource Center is closed, but staff will be available to answer any questions through firstname.lastname@example.org or set up ZOOM conferences.
- IMPORTANT: As of 3/20/2020, the Cookie Cupboard will be closed until further notice. We will notify our membership when it reopens.
- All in-person council-sponsored events, activities, trainings and community programming are postponed until May 1. GSNC will begin notifying participants and issuing refunds immediately.
- All service units and troops should suspend all in-person gatherings, meetings and events through April 30th (timeline will continue to be evaluated and may be modified as needed).
- All association/service units will be given a remote meetings ZOOM number to conduct local business and all other council level meetings will be scheduled via ZOOM.
- We are working on the possibility of remote recruitment meetings and association annual meetings.
- We will be creating virtual programs and experiences for girls and families as well as other ways for connections. Please refer to the Girl Scouting at Home area of the Parent section on the OLC
This does not mean that Girl Scouting stops. We encourage you to use webinars, teleconferences and other technologies to engage girls and adults. We will also support you through virtual opportunities. Our staff remains available to assist you during regular business hours just email email@example.com
The health and safety of our entire Girl Scout family is so important to us. We will continue to update you regarding critical information and further impacts to Girl Scout programming and operations. Thank you for your patience and steadfast support as we navigate this unprecedented and quickly evolving situation. We appreciate your commitment to Girl Scouts and we remain committed to you!
Due to the county state of emergency please note the following updates as of March 13th:
- All council programs starting March 13, 2020 until May 1, 2020 have been postponed. Refunds will begin next week.
- All in-person service unit and troop meetings should be suspended effective March 13, 2020 until further notice. To help keep girls connected to their Girl Scout Experience, a virtual program portal is being designed. It will be available on the OLC shortly.
- All cookie booths are suspended starting Monday, March 16. See ebudde and the FAQ’s on the OLC for more details.
At Girl Scouts of Nassau County (GSNC), there is nothing we take more seriously than the safety and well-being of our members. As Coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to be of growing concern in Nassau County and throughout New York State, GSNC is taking all possible and appropriate measures to ensure girls continue to have a safe, fun, one-of-a-kind experience at Girl Scouts.
You can find up-to-date information on the OLC. We will continue to update that information as we learn more from the CDC, health department, and other authorities. We have made recommendations to the service units and volunteers about local Girl Scout events and activities, and will notify all participants as council events are postponed. It is recommended that we all follow the direction of social distancing and ensure that any activities have proper space and meet CDC guidelines.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Since my Troop is unable to meet in our regular meeting space, what do you suggest?
The Girl Scout Motto is “Be prepared.” GSNC is suspending all troop activities effective March 13, 2020 until further notice. GSNC is compiling a Virtual Program booklet that will include Girl Scout family activities, indoor/outdoor activities, badge/patch programs and bucket list programs that can be done at home in order to keep a sense of normalcy for our Girl Scout families. Some of these activities are already listed on the OLC and more will be added shortly. Girl can continue the Girl Scout Cookie program via their digital cookie platforms or by taking orders over the phone for existing troop stock (check with your Cookie Manager) or visit the Cookie Cupboard to fill in missing packages. Ask the girls what they want to do, hold virtual meetings or suspend meeting for a few weeks. Let them lead!
I am scheduled for an in-person meeting/training at the Service Center. Will GSNC be holding meeting/trainings in the Council Service Center?
All council programs/meeting/training starting March 13, 2020 until May 1, 2020 have been postponed.
Will GSNC be canceling council run programs and events?
All council programs starting March 13, 2020 until May 1, 2020 have been postponed. Refunds will begin next week.
If GSNC has to cancel council run programs or events, will my troop receive a refund?
Yes, GSNC will follow its current refund policy.
Normally registration fees are nonrefundable except under the following circumstances:
- Girl Scouts of Nassau County needs to cancel the program for any reason.
- A GSNC program partner needs to cancel the program and a reasonable substitution is not available.
- In the case that a state of emergency is activated by local, state or federal government
- Due to a severe weather event that prevents a program/event from occurring.
We would love girls to continue their Girl Scout experience through this crisis, but know that a short break might be necessary. We will do our best to stay connected and for you to continue the Girl Scout journey as soon as possible.
If you have any questions or need additional guidance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or see the parents section of our Online Community (OLC).