ACTIVITY OF THE MONTH
Girl Scout Troop Scavenger Hunt
Did you know that when baking a cake you can substitute apple sauce for the oil? There are people who have to make changes like this every day because they have to maintain certain diets. For example, diabetics have to minimize their sugar consumption. To make a meal or snack healthier or fit into your dietary needs, you can swap some ingredients for healthier options. An Ice Cream Sundae is a great example of a snack where ingredients can be swapped to make it a little healthier.... You can take the classic ice cream sundae and turn it into a fresh fruit frozen yogurt sundae simply by changing a few ingredients.
You can make a healthy snack that is both enjoyable and nutritional.
Variety of Fresh Fruit
Crumbled Graham Crackers
Low Fat Vanilla Frozen Yogurt (recipe works with regular yogurt as well)
1. Wash and slice fresh fruit. Put each type of fruit in separate bowls.
2. Put graham crackers into plastic zip lock bag and crush them using a rolling pin or by rolling a can over the graham crackers. Put graham crackers in separate bowl.
3. Let girls choose which fresh fruits they would like in their sundae and have them place the fruit in the bottom of their dessert bowl.
4. Once girls have finished selecting their fruits, spoon frozen yogurt on top of fruit.
5. Top sundae with cinnamon and graham crackers.
6. EAT & ENJOY!
Make a day out of it! With the fall upon us, it is the perfect time to take your troop apple picking.
While apple picking, introduce your girls to the fruits which are not only currently in season, but are also locally grown. At the end of the day, the girls can slice up their freshly picked apples to put into their Fresh Fruit Sundae.
ACTIVITY OF THE MONTH LIBRARY